Pakistan faces a combination of human-made crises and natural disasters. Over 2.8 million people were forced to flee the Federal Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) due to complex emergencies between 2008 and 2014. As of 30 September 2018, 97% IDPs have returned to FATA, but many have minimal or no access to basic services or opportunities to re-establish their lives and livelihoods, whereas the remaining 3% of families remain displaced in the north-west of the Country. In addition, Pakistan hosts one of the world’s largest protracted refugee caseloads with 1.4 million registered Afghan refugees. Additionally, approximately 880,000 Afghans have registered for an Afghan Citizen Card (ACC) and an estimated 300,000-500,000 undocumented Afghans remain in Pakistan, many of whom are in vulnerable groups. Last but not least, Pakistan is prone to natural disasters including floods, earthquakes and drought, which displace large numbers of people.
In 2019, IOM will continue to focus on Flow Monitoring activities at Torkham and Chaman border crossings points to facilitate returns of undocumented Afghan nationals to Afghanistan. In addition, IOM aims to promote sustainable reintegration of Pakistani returnees (from Germany and other parts of Europe) and social cohesion in communities of origin.
In response to natural calamities, IOM will continue to support disaster-affected populations and work with partners to strengthen resilience of at-risk communities in Pakistan, including through projects aimed at disaster risk reduction, shelter and community stabilization. IOM has a strong presence in the country and works in coordination with UN agencies, humanitarian partners and relevant government counterparts, including the Ministry of Interior (MoI), Ministry of States and Frontier Regions (SAFRON), Ministry of Overseas Pakistanis and Human Resource Development, Chief Commissionerate of Afghan Refugees (CCAR), Provincial Commissionerate of Afghan Refugees (CAR), National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA), National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) and FATA Secretariat.
IOM has included interventions that are in line with IOM’s Migration Crisis Operational Framework and country strategy to address migration/displacement issues and initiate development-principled programming to establish the foundations for longer-term recovery to complement its humanitarian programmes.
Overall Targeted Beneficiaries: 203,350 individuals.
Contact Information: Eric Peasah, Senior Programme Manager: (firstname.lastname@example.org) Website | Facebook | Twitter
IOM Offices: Main Country Office: Islamabad Field-Offices: Peshawar, Karachi, Lahore and Mirpur
International Staff: 11
National Staff: 383
Promoting Sustainable Reintegration of Returnees and Social Cohesion in Communities of OriginAmount Requested: USD 1,138,303 Amount Received: USD 0Objective:IOM Pakistan aims to contribute towards the successful return and reintegration of Pakistani returnees from Germany and other parts of Europe and to promote safe migration.Beneficiaries:203,350 individuals